Sign in to follow this  
DR KOKIL AGARWAL

Are you afraid of travelling alone?

I have always travelled in a company. If not big , we always had at least one another family with us. But this time we are planning a trip alone. It will be only myself, my husband and my 3 year old son.

It is a short 3 day trip to Alwar, a place around 150 km from my city. The drive will take around 3 hours. Though it will be a perfect family time together I'm a bit afraid of travelling all alone.

Am I really over thinking about it? How often have you all travelled alone and that too via your own vehicle?

No, I'm not afraid to go alone. In fact, but not bragging, I've been overseas for months at a time, in fact, one time - a whole year.  However, though, the fear of being alone does keep people from traveling.  It's sort of a shame cause they often miss a lot.  

Also, there is a similar situation, and I see it with many Asian tourists, where certain people tend to stick with their own national group while traveling.  This thing could limit their exposure to foreign cultures.  For instance, a group of Koreans in the US would probably go to LA, where many Koreans already are, they would eat Korean food all the time and possibly stay in some tourist zone.

Anyway, I'm not saying I would'nt do the same in another culture - to some degree.  However, I say, "When in Rome, do as the Romans do.".

Edited by Frequent Flyer

No. I am never afraid of travelling alone. This is especially if I am conversant with the place I am going. Another thing is sometimes I just love to travel alone. It spares me the issue of nosy or noisy company. You may find that when you travel with a group, you may not exercise discipline especially in purchasing items. Consumption tends to be interdependent and therefore if a friend buys something when travelling you are likely to follow suit. When I am alone, I make my own decisions without the input of anyone else. 

I am not afraid of traveling alone, and have done so, it is more fun with other people though. It is a way to share the opportunity and the travel with each other. I think it is a good thing to do, so you can go to the places you want to.

If you mean by traveling is a long road trip, I don't think I would relish that idea of traveling by myself. First concern is the unexpected situation like an accident or a car break down. It would be terrible to be in that situation all by myself. Second is the company. It would be boring to drive for hours with no one to talk to. I might fall asleep on the steering wheel huh. When I have company, it is like a picnic inside the car that I'm driving because for long drives, I always bring along an ice chest cooler with drinks and some snacks that we can eat along the way. 

13 hours ago, Gad said:

No. I am never afraid of travelling alone. This is especially if I am conversant with the place I am going. Another thing is sometimes I just love to travel alone. It spares me the issue of nosy or noisy company. You may find that when you travel with a group, you may not exercise discipline especially in purchasing items. Consumption tends to be interdependent and therefore if a friend buys something when travelling you are likely to follow suit. When I am alone, I make my own decisions without the input of anyone else. 

Everything has it's own advantages and disadvantages. Travelling alone is risky in case if we are stuck in any problem. Otherwise being all alone is like being a master of own routine. You do everything in accordance with your will and interests. 

3 hours ago, DR KOKIL AGARWAL said:

Everything has it's own advantages and disadvantages. Travelling alone is risky in case if we are stuck in any problem. Otherwise being all alone is like being a master of own routine. You do everything in accordance with your will and interests. 

A person traveling alone should always have a lot of backup money and/or travel insurance in case things go bad.  However, though, it's possible to fall into massive financial problems - even if you have companions.  Note, it takes massive amounts of cash to make it, even in a developing nation - even using home stay.  A few thousand won't cut the bill.

Well, I am not afraid of traveling alone and actually, I enjoy it. The reason that I said I will enjoy it is that I will have lots of time to enjoy the serene beauty of nature and also think in a calm state. It will be a different feeling for me to refresh myself. For every vacation only me, my brother, my father and mother would be traveling to places alone in our car. That will be a totally different experience and gives you so much memorable moments for you to cherish. :) Happy traveling @DR KOKIL AGARWAL

I am not afraid of traveling alone, in fact I enjoy traveling alone. I even see positive side of traveling alone. When you travel alone, you will know the place better, you will know the people better. A lone traveler is always interested in knowing things. When you are in groups you will be talking with each other too much and you will not enjoy the place you are visiting. When alone you can enjoy the beauty of nature or the intricacies of the landmarks.

I have a friend that traveled alone from New York, all over the Europe. He went for a full Euro Trip with only one backpack. I really don't know how and where did he find cheap airplane tickets, but he had a lot of fun and visited almost every country. And he didn't pay any hotels because he had friends all over the Europe, so he had a place to stay for a day or two everywhere. I find that amazing and would love to go for a Euro trip myself. Traveling in group is fun, sure, but when you are alone you have all the time for yourself and you can do whatever YOU want.

12 hours ago, harijobs said:

Well, I am not afraid of traveling alone and actually, I enjoy it. The reason that I said I will enjoy it is that I will have lots of time to enjoy the serene beauty of nature and also think in a calm state. It will be a different feeling for me to refresh myself. For every vacation only me, my brother, my father and mother would be traveling to places alone in our car. That will be a totally different experience and gives you so much memorable moments for you to cherish. :) Happy traveling @DR KOKIL AGARWAL

Thanks a lot for your wishes. This is the first time in 8 years that I will be travelling all alone with my husband. I'm really excited and wish that the trip comes out to be a big fun based memory for the lifetime.

I will agree that because we would be travelling with a 3 year old kid I'm a bit anxious as well. But now I feel that I should give this trip a try.

• Like 1

@DR KOKIL AGARWAL You are most welcome. Alwar is a beautiful city and you have chosen a very good place to visit. There are a lot of forts, and also there is a tiger reserve which offers Safari I I think. My father has been to Alwar once for his official tour and said it is one of the places that we should visit for a vacation. I hope you have a wonderful time there. I find this site useful and so I share this with you. Good luck. :)

https://www.holidify.com/places/alwar/sightseeing-and-things-to-do.html