Sign in to follow this  
luri

Travel insurance

can anyone explain me what is travel insurance and what does it cover? If I get a travel insurance and during my visit in other country, I get sick. Will my travel insurance cover my entire medical bill? What it my things are stolen, will I be paid for my loss? How do you prove that your things were lost? What is he tenure of travel insurance?

From what I understand, travel insurance covers death and injuries related to traveling, i.e. by plane or boat and maybe it can also include land travel. But for an example of food poisoning, I don't think it would cover the hospitalization since that is already a medical insurance we are talking about. They usually avail of travel insurance when going on a cruise since a week on the boat exposes you to more dangers. 

As far as I know different travel insurance companies have different terms and conditions. These conditions further vary from country to country. 

They cover big claims like accidents and associated injuries. Stolen luggage or bad health is not a part of the claim.

You choose what level of cover you want. Some choose just baggage, and other choose a policy that covers delays, medical care and theft. It also depends on the country you go to and how long you are staying there.

These days it is advisable, and to read the small print as some don't cover charter flights or delays if you get a lift to the airport or station.