Sign in to follow this  
Tina

Top tips for first time travelers to Asia

I would like to know what advice those of you experienced travelers would give to someone traveling to Asia for the very first time in terms of what to bring with you to make your stay more convenient, which months to go during, what cultural rules to ensure that you don't break and so on, rather than the places to visit. Thanks.  

There is nothing special for the first time as it is the same. You need to keep all the important things that you would need for daily use. Do a little bit research about things that are costly at the place where you are going to visit. I would suggest you do paperwork so you would not face any problem.

Which months to go would depend on the country you are visiting. We generally travel during the later months of the year to avoid the extreme heat. Southeast Asia is mostly in the torrid zone so you can expect warm temperature. If you are a city traveler then I would suggest you book in a nice hotel so you will have an enjoyable night - a hot tub and all the amenities plus a complimentary breakfast. And when you have decided on the country then do a little research on the nice spots to visit. 

The advice that I would like to put forward is to point out how religious the general Asian population is. They are quite spiritual people making religion and tradition so important to the core value and culture. So the best thing you can do is be aware and be respectful. How you present yourself is the main thing, some religion is more conservative than others. So, if you are required to cover up certain parts of your body or take off your shoes etc. please do so respectively. Know that they have nothing against your culture or how you normally do things, they just ask you to honor their beliefs and not disturb the spirits.

Asia is a vast continent. It is not appropriate to group all Asian countries in one camp just like we do with the countries in Europe. Culturally and religiously, Europe is one continent, however, Asian countries have different cultures and faiths. Therefore traveling to Predominantly Hindu India and Muslim Indonesia, will give you different experience. Development is also uneven in Asia unlike in Europe.  Bangladesh is a poor nation in Asia, however, Japan another Asian country is very developed.